I will be the first to admit that there are some movies you watch solely for the eye candy… The Proposal, It’s Complicated, anything Diane Keaton has ever made (with the exception of The Godfather & Father of the Bride), and, of course, The Holiday. Admit it, while Jude Law is pretty darn adorable in that little sheet tent with twinkle lights, the movie itself really isn’t all that fantastic. But that house? To die for! So as the temperatures drop, I’ve been brainstorming ways to cozy up our own little home, and I thought it only appropriate to share my notes.
1. Every English cottage should have at least one velvet, over-stuffed ottoman. It’s a foot rest, it’s a place to set your tray of tea and crumpets, plus it is extra seating for guests.
2. Blankets, Blankets everywhere. Blankets here and blankets there. It’s a cottage, which means that, at a moment’s notice, you should be able to drop everything and curl up under a blanket with tea and a good book.
3. Scent is so very important in any home. I especially love this old trick of fruit pricked with cloves. It’s also something to do when you have busy hands and don’t want to do anything that requires too much thought.
1. I just adore this metal apron on a deep sink. Along with the big knobs and tall counters, cabinets and cart, this kitchen acts as a perfect study of contrasts in big and small. I think bringing large things into a small space like this makes for a fun, whimsical, comfortable style.
2. Every cottage should have a handmade garland. (Tutorial to follow this weekend.)
3. Every home (anywhere) should always have tea kettle on the stove. Not only does it humidify the air in the winter, but it also is great in case you have unexpected guests.
1. If you are lucky enough to have a home with good bones, show them off.
2. I love eclectic touches in a classic home. This drum topped with a mirror makes for the perfect, quirky little side table.
3. In a cold, English cottage there should be lots of rugs thrown about to add texture and warm things up. This striped stair runner is a perfect way to make sure that texture connects the 2 floors and that your toes stay warm as you walk up to bed!
1. A classic white iron bed will make any room seem cozier.
2. Blankets & Throws & Quilts, oh my!
3. To add to the coziness and that warm snuggly feeling, one must have a fireplace in the bedroom. And, of course…